Wednesday, August 8, 2012

DSDN112 - Limitations Of Ferro Fluid, the pros and cons.

While experimenting with essentially what the main part of my project would have ended up as, an interesting material known as "Ferro-Fluid" I came across limitations that have put me off and have made me look into materials that would give similar effects while magnetized, such as the use of iron filings.

I will add more onto the list as I find them and when I have materials to create more fluid.

Pros and Cons of Ferro-Fluid:

Pros:
  • Interesting Material, can be hypnotic.
  • Never the same form, as magnetic fields manipulate.
  • Works better in lower temperatures. 
  • Maintains magnetic properties while dried. 
Cons:

  • Dries fast, depending on quality or recipe used to make liquid.
  • Leaves an inky mess.
  • Toxic material, if in contact with skin can irritate, etc.
  • Requires consistent magnetic contact. 



A Mixture of different oils/engine that had iron or magnetizing properties.

No comments:

Post a Comment